Friday, December 23, 2005
Said the Trapeze Act Was Wonderful
This must be the 425,667,357 blog site I've created. Ladies and gentlemen, my pre-new year's resolution: I will update this one at least semi-regularly. We'll see.
I'm not going to take the time to get you up to speed on my life- chances are, if you're reading this, you know me, and if not, you're just going to have to use context clues. I think you're smart enough to do that.
So today is Christmas Eve eve, and my family just put up our decorations yesterday. Why so late? It's not that we're all procrastinators really, it's just that hard to get everyone here together. And we can ONLY put up decorations when everyone's here. Why? Because that's the way it's always been. This happens to be pretty much the worst reason to ever do anything, EXCEPT when it comes to Christmas.

Christmas = stability.

According to me. NOw, you might think that, given my Southern heritage, I'm one of those people who just doesn't like change at all, but that's just not true. It's just that the way I see it, that's kind of the point of Christmas.
No so much Jesus, but Mary and Joseph certainly abandonned whatever neat little castles in the sky they were planning, I mean, surely Mary wanted kids and maybe a dog and whit picket fence? or maybe she was a revolutionary, and wanted to shun society and no have children? pursue a career? travel? Either way, the first Christmas had to be the very definition of tumultuous. I mean, they had no precedent to follow. There was no one Mary could go to and say, "So, how did YOU deal with the savior of the world when he was teething?"
So, today, we have a Christmas agenda- a precedent for each scenario. We KNOW where the tree goes up, and who puts up which special ordament. We know whose presents we are responsible for, and what amount we are to spend. We know where we go Christmas Eve and what time we wake up Christmas morning. We drink egg nog and Bloody Marys. We eat cheese straws and have oyster casserol at supper. WE ALL HELP DECORATE. and that's the way it has to be.
Which is why we did not put up decoratons til yesterday. Oh, and we pretend to be functional while we do it! well, except mom, she needs to work on that part. or actually she might be the only one who actually has to pretend.

Either way, Merry Chistmas kids.


1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Cooper said...

Ummm...can I have children with this blog post. It's just a little bit awesome.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer