Monday, November 05, 2007
Capax Universi
Capax universi, capable of the universe are your arms
When they move with love.

And I know it is true that your feet are never
More alive than when they are in
Defense of a good
Cause.

I want to fund your efforts: Stay near beauty, for she will always
Strengthen you.

She will bring your mouth close to Hers and
Breathe – inspire you the way
Light does the
Fields.

The earth inhales God, why
Should we not do
The same?

This sacred glame we tend inside needs
The chants of every tongue,
The communion with all.

As capable as God
Are we.

- St. Thomas Aquinas, as translated by Daniel Ladinsky


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think he's my favorite saint (unless you count Grandpa, which I do). Anyone who can pray "Lord, make me chaste. But, not yet". and still end up a saint, has my vote!

Blogger Vanessa Koritsi said...

I love this poem. But it was Augustine of Hippo who prayed, "Lord, make me chaste...but not yet." Sometime after that he made the transition from male slut to religious prude.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer