Wednesday, January 11, 2006
I'm a Modern Girl, But I Fall Apart So Easily.
When do things get easy again?

I've never had a whole lot of really tough morality issues. I mean, I've had hard times, and there've been plenty of cases where blame is anybody's ball. I've been in situations so complex and twisted that they're too complex for a Lifetime movie.
But this one- not so much. The scenerio I'm currently dealing with is actually probably one of the most common discussion topics of today. I find myself wishing I had an ultimate answer.

Morality.

What's the most important aspect anyway? Is it love? Justice? Greater good? I tend to think that people rely to heavily on things like the Bible for moral guidance. I really think that we ultimately know right from wrong, an there are things that are commandement kosher that grate on my conscience like a metal file on my teeth. At the same time, there are issues too complex for the Bible to be of any real help.

Every time I've ever heard the Bible story about the "golden rule," it's gone something like this: Some hoity toity religious officials are trying to be smart asses, and ask Jesus what the most important commandment is. Jesus, sly cat that he was, didn't give them a commandment, but instead gave the pretty standard golden rule. I would like to think that maybe this story is slightly inaccurate, because I think the pharasees tend to ge a bad rap in the good book. What if they weren't trying to trick JC at all? Suppose someone was just dealing with a really fucking tough issue, and honestly wanted to know what the fuck was the right thing to do?

And there it is. The end, the ultimate, it all comes down to unconditional love. But what if by withholding love you could maybe influence someone enough to the "right thing?"

More on this later kids. I don't know what to do.


1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Cooper said...

I think we'll address much of this in our second semester of Blount actully. Or not. It looks like it though...

Can you go back to that other thing. No before that. Yeah.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer