Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Look at What the Light Did Now.
Sometimes I'm in love with life as we know it.

This week, for instance, is lacking in prose, and I'm okay with that. I'm serious about this family, kids. They're some kind of exciting. The night before last at about 11pm my 3 siblings and 2 of our cousins decided to spend some quality time on the beach. Just family, the ocean, the stars, and a few gin and tonics.

After about 30 minutes of quality time, we, or more accurately, I, needed a cigarette. Unfortunately, the closest cigarettes available were at a gas station about 2 miles down the road. My family, in this intoxicated state, decided that a two mile walk was no big deal, and so we commenced on our journey.

At this point I guess I should mention where I am right now. I'm on vacation with my family of 6 and my mom's brother's family of 8, along with a family of 4 friends, not to mention my dad's brother's family, also of 4. We vacation on Anna Maria Island, which, while ridiculously beautiful and relaxing, is also a bit of a retirement town. Not that I'm complaining- I love it here.

The unfortunate part of vacationing in such a quiet town is that at the ungodly hour of 12 midnight, most island businesses, including afore mentioned gas station, are closed. Still, after walking a full two miles, we were pretty determined to at least achieve SOMEthing. So, we continued walking.

We continued walking for 6 miles.

When we finally arrived at a 24 hour Circle K, we were pretty much all ready for a cigarette, even though I'm the only one of us who actually smokes. We sat down and considered our journey thus far, and decided that the walk back was going to be zero fun. An eight mile walk is something of a buzz-kill, but it's an adventure at least. A 16 mile walk is just a bitch.

So, instead of taking the long trek back, we flagged down the one and only taxi driver who works that late, by the one and only bar that's open that late. Luckily, his taxi was an SUV, so all 6 of us could fit somewhatg easily.

Our taxi driver was kind of a big deal. First of all, he was at least 55 years old, smoking a Marboro 100, and just as personable as you can be. Best of all, his name was Dewy. Seriously? I couldn't make this shit up.

So, after a quick trip with Dewy back to our side of the island, we laid out on the beach and talked over the idea of spending the night under the stars. We discussed this thought over straight gin, which is something pretty handy when it comes to convincing a group of teenagers to just pass out right then and there.

After about 15 minutes on the beach, one of my cousins thought he spotted a dog ab out 30 yards down from us, coming out of the ocean. When we went to check it out--whoa, hello, as if this night needed any more excitement--we see that it's not a dog at all, but a giant sea turtle coming to lay her eggs on the beach.

Pretty much one of the coolest things I've ever seen in real life.

More on this later, I'm pretty tired of typing at this point....


4 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Cooper said...

Yes, we'll have to do something about this "Fate" person when we get back to Tuscaloosa. It's totally distracting me from my kittenology studies. Oh fate. I'm gonna charge you triple for Jurassic Park tickets.

Blogger Grace said...

I'm in love with your face.

That Dewey.

I love you... after time at the beach and Special Session coming up, I'm going to have more Lindsey than I can handle... I'm pretty ecstatic about that.

Blogger continuitygirl said...

I've just read about this on Grace's blog, your holiday sounds like a blast.

Blogger Pricing Guide said...

i miss you! im drunk. please come back and drink with me. I totally miss you my dear. sooooooooooo much.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer